Friday, November 11, 2011

What advice would you give to incoming college freshman whose interests leave him befuddled in choosing majors?

I am 18, college-bound for the fall, and I can't decide on where I see myself. My original plan was to head into law, but I did my research and learned, to my dismay, that law is a very very popular career choice. Second I considered Computer Engineering and Science but than I had a peek into the past and remembered how poorly I did in my High School math cles and then foresaw a future of pain and stress for the next four years as CE or CS major. Than I came to a realization that the my interests in life usually go back to these four things: coffee, music, philosophy, and literature. How in hell am I suppose to choose a major with interest that usually leave people with the opinion that those who have only such interest will end up broke and homeless. I really want to have my majors down before I attend my college orientation next month and see my adviser to pick cles. I really would like to double major. I have considered just becoming a business and cognitive science major and just go into business. I mean I love coffee and I always had this dream to move to Seattle, Washington, the coffee capital, or to San Fransisco, CA and just starting my own independent coffee shop. I mean there are three independent coffee shops that are doing pretty well for themselves, and my hometown isn't the most lucrative place to do business. Heck I live in Cali and and there are so many good small suburban cities I could go to rather than a big one like San Fran. What do you think? What do you recommend? Any advice for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment