Tuesday, November 8, 2011

When did the world get such horrible misconceptions about the Catholic Church?

There are some posters on this site with a strong anti-Catholic bias. However, I don't think that most people seriously believe the nonsense about Catholics worshiping statues and so forth. I am a Roman Catholic living in a heavy Fundamentalist region. I hear anti-Catholic opinions, some of them almost violent in tone, pretty much every day of the week. However, I see it as an opportunity for a bit of gentle education. When you press most of these people, you'll find out that they've never actually talked to a practicing Catholic in their lives, and certainly have never visited a Catholic church. From there, one can begin presenting facts instead of fiction. And while doing so, I don't attempt to gloss over past abuses of the Church, which are historically doented; however, I do point out that these abuses, although tragic, are certainly not all that our Church is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment